e84 TEACHER TRAINING DIPLOMA PROGRAM
e84 Teacher Training is a 2 year program designed to provide a sophisticated understanding of yoga as a way of being and as a practice. We aim to empower leaders in the hatha yoga tradition of 84 asanas and in the hot yoga tradition of 26&2.
You’ll learn how to lead The 84 Class, known as the ‘advanced class’, as well as teach The e84 Intermediate Class that bridges the gap between the 26&2 and The 84 Class. If you’re not already a teacher of the 26&2 class, you’re invited to participate in our apprenticeship-style certification program to learn to teach 26&2 with an original set of highly effective instructions.
Upon completion of all course requirements, you’ll receive the e84 Teacher Diploma. This is a 500 hour Yoga Alliance Certification and far exceeds the minimum requirements for becoming a 500 hour Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher.
To empower ourselves to carry the tradition of the 84
To explore and expand our yoga practice
To establish a community of competent, loving, hot yoga leaders
To experience our own mastery
To express the higher Self
e84 TEACHER TRAINING DIPLOMA PROGRAM CONSISTS OF 3 STEPS
Step 1: Advanced Training
Step 2: Practice Phase
Step 3: Completion Courses
26&2 Teacher Certification Program
What is The 84 Class?
The world famous hot yoga 26&2 sequence was derived from a larger sequence of over 84 postures taught by Bishnu Ghosh and his disciples from Calcutta, India. In the hot yoga world The 84 Class is known as the ‘advanced class’. It’s a 120 minute therapeutic Hatha yoga class that prepares an individual for meditation, oxygenates all of the body’s organs and muscles, and restores and preserves the proper functioning of all of the body’s systems.
The 84 Class builds on the foundation of the 26&2. It’s expected that participants have a good foundation of strength, flexibility, alignment, concentration and balance. The 84 Class will develop skills like lotus, handstands, leg-over-the-head movements, and deep back bends.
84 is a sacred number in many spiritual traditions. Numerologically it’s a metaphor that represents Self mastery, and the development of high yogic consciousness, with a physical practice.
What will I learn at e84 Advanced Training?
During the 1 month, 200 hour training you will learn:
- In depth posture technique for the entire 84 sequence (which includes posture technique for the 26&2)
- How to lead The 84 Class, known as the ‘advanced class’
- How to teach the 90 minute e84 Intermediate Class
- Jedi training techniques to develop strength and flexibility for practicing The 84 Class
- Applied anatomy study through hands-on Thai massage techniques
- Introduction to Jnana yoga
- Introduction to seated meditation, mantra and chanting
- Kriya yoga conscious breathing exercises
What is The e84 Intermediate Class?
The e84 Intermediate Class is a heated 90 minute class that builds on the foundation created by the 26&2, known as Bikram Yoga. In this class we’ll begin to introduce new ideas and develop body parts for postures that require skills like arm balancing, leg over the head, deep backbends and lotus. No advanced skills are needed to participate in this class, but comfort practicing 26&2 and a desire to expand are essential. Structured by Esak Garcia, this class prepares students for The 84 Class, from which the 26&2 was derived.
The e84 Intermediate Class contains all the 26&2 series postures that you already know; we also expand into new postures and variations. Each class will have a slightly different focus in terms of the skills and body parts we are addressing. By developing awareness of your postures and different parts of your body you’ll get new ideas to take back to your 26&2 practice. The parts of class with which you’re familiar will move more quickly, with less instruction; new ideas will be taught more thoroughly.
26&2 CERTIFICATION PROGRAM BY e84
We created this training as an intimate, apprenticeship-style training to learn how to teach the 26&2 class with an original set of thorough and effective instructions that are memorized verbatim. This training, in combination with the e84 Advanced Training, is equivalent to a 500 hour 26&2 training. Also, for yogis who were certified to teach 26&2 by a program that is not a member of the Original Hot Yoga Association (OHYA), this training serves as a bridge to qualify you for OHYA membership. Each training group is limited to 5 participants.
The Components of the 26&2 Certification Program
- To qualify for this training you must know the 26&2 hot yoga sequence and have a well-established practice. You must also have a home studio that will endorse your character, recommend you to become a teacher, and offer to employ you with at least 2 classes per weeks for a period of 3 months upon completion.
- Working closely with Esak Garcia, Radha Garcia, and their staff of teachers who each have over 15 years of teaching experience, you’ll author, transcribe and memorize your own set of original teaching instructions over a period of 2 months.
- Once your original instruction set is memorized, you’ll spend 2 weeks in Boulder, Colorado during which you’ll teach 1 class/day at Boulder Bikram Yoga. After each class you’ll receive feedback and take part in teaching workshops.
- Before receiving your teaching certificate, you must complete the e84 Advanced Training.
- The final requirement for receiving your 26&2 teaching certificate is to complete 11 x 90 minute hot yoga classes per week for 4 consecutive weeks, for example: Mon-Fri 2 classes per day, 1 class on Saturdays, no class Sundays.
What else is included in the 26&2 Certification Program by e84
- An opportunity to teach 14 classes to the public (21 hours live teaching experience)
- 18+ hours of feedback, support and critique for the classes that you and the other trainees teach
- Guidance in responding to and caring for students before and after class
- 7 hours of live sign-in time, where you are supported in signing-in students using Mindbody Online, or similar studio software
- Orientation to managing a yoga studio
- 9 x 26&2 classes that are dedicated to the teacher trainees. These classes are not open to the public and are led by teachers with anywhere from 5-50 years of teaching experience
- 2 x e84 Intermediate Classes and 2 x The 84 Class, known as the ‘advanced class’
- Trainees will take a total of 28 classes in 2 weeks
Common Questions about the 26&2 add-on training
Q: If I am participating in the 26&2 training, when do I need to do the e84 Advanced Training?
A: If you complete the e84 Advanced Training first, there is no requirement for when you must complete the 26&2 training. It can happen anytime after the Advanced Training. If you do the 26&2 training prior to the e84 Advanced Training, then you have 1 year to complete the Advanced Training. If your 26&2 training comes first, upon completion of the 26&2 training you must be continuously teaching until you begin the e84 Advanced Training.
Q: If I don’t take part in the 26&2 training will I still receive my e84 Teacher Diploma?
A: Yes you will. But please be aware that if you are not a teacher of the 26&2 hot yoga sequence, the e84 Teacher Diploma does not endorse you to teach 26&2. That’s why we recommend you also sign up for the 26&2 training.
Q: How do you create an original set of teaching instructions?
A: First, each participant will be asked to write down the essential set of instructions for a posture. The e84 teacher training team will review the instructions and critique them. As many revisions as are necessary will be passed back and forth until the instruction set thoroughly and effectively communicates all of the essential elements of hot yoga posture technique.
Q: Can my 4 weeks of 11 classes per week coincide with the 26&2 training?
A: No, you must complete your 4 weeks before or after attending the 26&2 training. This is intentional because part of your training process is developing your own physical practice. Your increased practice will teach you more about the practice, and make you a better teacher. Before receiving your 26&2 certificate, you’ll accelerate your practice in all of the following ways: 4 weeks of 11 classes/week, 2 weeks with 28 classes (during the 26&2 training), and 4 weeks at the e84 Advanced Training. This is a total of 10 weeks of accelerated practice.
Q: When I am completing the requirement to practice 11 times a week for 4 weeks, do e84 Intermediate Classes and my practice of The 84 Class count?
A: Yes, e84 Intermediate Classes, The 84 Class, and 26&2 classes all count.